Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Search

1. Larger themes in my memoir.
Traveling on an adventure; experience, courage and confidence; gaining knowledge; culture differences; friendship or the need for acceptance, the need for companionship in a new place.

2. Need for companionship. Sports teams. Family. Best friends. Animals, pets. Work.

3. We all need companions and we rely on them for moral support among many other things. We have a variety of companions. I think its one of the most important things we have in life and it should be treated carefully. We all strive for the need to be accepted and our companions do that. I have made friends at work, and those friends convince me to go to work, allow me to enjoy my work and provide friendships. I've been on a swim team for years, the same varsity team throughout my four years of highschool and that group was comfortable and I needed them. I needed their support ot cheer me on and vice versa. To see them around school was comforting. Best friends and family are there for you and allow you to speak your mind and be yourself with no stress. I would be lost without these people to be there for me in any time of need whether big or small. Pets are also important. A lot of people rely on their pets for friendship. I have 2 dogs that I love. I feel important to take care of them, knowing that they need me and I need them to comfort me or play with me or be excited to see me come home. All of these forms of companionship are significant. In London, as I stated in my memoir, I needed and relied on my 15 roommates. We traveled together to new countries and explored the city of London together sharing many exciting memories that I will never forget. Without them I would not have been able to allow myself to be free in London. I needed to be with other people who were in the same situation as me, I needed to have those friends.

4. Questions.
Why do we need companionship so badly? Is it a survival need? Is one type of companionship better than the others, does it depend on the individual? Do different companions provide different services to the individual? How do companions change a situation, like an adventure or travels? When do we begin to find our true companions? What is the difference between other human companions or animals companions? Can companionship come from friends and strangers; can it be a positive or a negative experience? How does companionship grow over time, does it need to? Is one companion enough, or do we need new friends or groups? In what ways do companions show compassion, what characteristics make them useful to the individual? How does the relationship work to benefit both sides?

No comments: